FAQ About the Children's Rights Project

Here are the most frequently asked questions regarding the Childrens' Rights Project:

Question: I am a parent seeking assistance with my family law matters, i.e. child support, custody, divorce, visitation, or restraining orders, how can Public Counsel help?
Answer: Public Counsel does not assist in family law matters.

Question: I am youth seeking emancipation, what can Public Counsel do for me?
Answer: Please read the emancipation brochure on this website to see if you qualify before calling Public Counsel.

: I need assistance in establishing a guardianship (custody of a child by a non-parent) through Probate Court, what can I do?
Answer: If you believe you qualify for our low-income services and need assistance in establishing a guardianship through Probate Court, please go to the Public Counsel Pro Per Guardianship Clinic at 111 N. Hill St., Room 230, in downtown Los Angeles, open Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  Please arrive by 9am and set aside the entire day to complete the process.   You do not need to bring children.  Bring proof of income or government benefits. This is a walk-in Clinic; no appointment necessary.

: I am a parent seeking to get my child back from foster care. How can Public Counsel help?
Answer: We're sorry but Public Counsel can't assist you with this type of matter.  Please speak to your Dependency Court attorney. If you lost his/her number, call the Dependency Court clerk's office at (323) 526-6600.

: My child has been referred for expulsion and I meet your income guidelines, what can I do?
Answer: Please call the Children's Rights Project intake line at 213-385-2977, extension 500, and we will determine if we can help you.