Our Stories

COVID-19 Resources for tenants and people experiencing homelessness.

Resources For People Experiencing Homelessness

  • Access Centers for people experiencing homelessness to connect with resources (still operating during COVID-19).
  • Ask your case manager (if you have one) if you may be eligible for the new Project Roomkey.
  • Need somewhere to park your car? Check out the Safe Parking Program.
  • Map of hand-washing stations and showers
  • List of YMCA shower locations and bus routes
  • Need somewhere to sleep tonight? Call 211 or check out the LAHSA Winter Shelter List (winter shelters are still open) 
  • Resources For People At Risk Of Homelessness

    • Can’t pay your rent? Use this tool (Spanish version here) to craft a letter to your landlord and protect your rights as a tenant.

    Resources For People Served With An Eviction

    • Facing eviction? For cases filed at the Stanley Mosk Courthouse, seek remote help through the Shriver Self-Help center at (818) 485-0576 or ShriverSHpublic@nlsla.org. More information here
    • For evictions out of all other courthouses, check out the Lawyers Preventing and Ending Homeless Project. You can get a referral through your local Homeless Service Provider. More information here and in Spanish here
    • Isn’t there an eviction moratorium? No. There are ordinances passed by the City of Los Angeles and Los Angeles Countywhich protect tenants from being evicted right now, during the crisis, and provide up to a year to pay back rent accrued during the crisis, if the tenant’s inability to pay is due to COVID-19. The County ordinance only applies to unincorporated areas and cities that have not passed their own ordinances. Also, the Los Angeles Superior Court is currently closed for all but the most urgent matters. See the court’s news center for the latest updates on which kinds of cases are being heard.
    • If you have experienced an illegal eviction, illegal rent increase, reduction in services, bad housing conditions, housing code violations, nonpayment of relocation assistance, or illegal buyout agreement, file a complaint with the Housing Department online or via phone at (866) 557-7368.
    • If you have lost income, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits, even if you are self-employed. Check out the new Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program.

    Complaints to the Los Angeles Housing & Community Investment Department:

    • For units under rent control in the city of Los Angeles, to file complaint with the Los Angeles Housing and Community Investment Department (“LAHCID”) regarding an illegal eviction, illegal rent increase, reduction in services, habitability conditions, housing code violations, nonpayment of relocation assistance, or illegal buyout agreement a compliant can be filed by phone or online. HCID’s public counters are currently closed, but tenants may file complaints via telephone or online.
    • File a complaint over the phone or online:  
      • Complaint by phone.  Call (866) 557-7368 to speak to an LAHCID representative and relay your complaints over the phone.
      • Complaint online.  Click or enter this link: https://hcidla.lacity.org/File-a-Complaint and follow the prompts to file your complaint online.

    Resources For Everyone

    • Can’t pay for groceries? Apply for CalFresh (food stamps) online or over the phone at (866) 613-3777
    • See the update from the Department of Social Services about public benefits here.