Our Stories

OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Public Counsel Opposes President's Third Attempt to Enact a Muslim Ban


September 25, 2017

LOS ANGELES – Public Counsel opposes President Trump’s third attempt to enact a Muslim Ban. This newest ban continues to target six majority-Muslim countries, and to obscure this fact also includes North Korea and a few government officials from Venezuela.

“Just as with the first two Muslim Bans, this new proclamation unfairly singles out immigrants from majority-Muslim countries on the basis of their national origin,” said Margaret Morrow, president and CEO of Public Counsel. “As an organization committed to serving immigrants fleeing violence and persecution, we remain deeply troubled by this Administration’s disregard of our constitution and the American values of inclusion and pluralism.”

Public Counsel has supported immigrants and refugees for more than 30 years. Earlier this year Public Counsel attorneys were among the first on the ground at LAX responding to the original Muslim Ban. Over the ensuing months, the organization led the charge to protect travelers affected by the unconstitutional Muslim bans – it set up a “Traveler’s Hotline” to provide immediate support to travelers or their families impacted by the bans, and sued on behalf of an Afghan family that was detained at LAX for more than 40 hours after having been thoroughly vetted and cleared for relocation to the United States.

“As attorneys who are on the frontlines supporting immigrants and refugees, we understand the real world implications of this latest misguided and prejudiced Muslim Ban,” said Talia Inlender, senior staff attorney with Public Counsel’s Immigrants’ Rights Project. “Families will be kept apart, refugees seeking safety will remain in limbo, and immigrants who make our country great will be prevented from contributing to our communities and economy. As an organization we will continue to speak out against these discriminatory bans until justice prevails.”