All You Need to Know About Identity TheftDOWNLOAD THIS DOCUMENT
Identity theft (or ID theft) is when someone else uses your personal information, like your name, Social Security number or address, without your permission.
Usually, your information is used to get:
- Personal loans
- Credit cards
- A driver's license
- A rental agreement
- Long-distance services
- Blank checks
- Home mortgage
In California, identity theft is a felony with serious consequences.
Why Should I Care About Identity Theft?
If you are a victim of ID theft, you must act quickly to minimize the damage. Otherwise, any of these things can happen to you:
- Your credit can be ruined
- You can be denied a job
- Your application to rent an apartment can be turned down
- You can get a criminal record
- Your wages can be garnished
- Your driver's license can be revoked
- Your bank accounts can be frozen