ABC's of Transition and the Independent Living Program


As the time nears for you to leave "the system," you might have fears about your future. On the one hand, you might be concerned about where you will live, whether you will have enough money for college, or whether you have the necessary skills to obtain a job. On the other hand, you might also be excited about finally being able to live on your own and take your life into your own hands.

This manual is foster youth and former foster youth. Some probation youth are also considered foster youth, if they are in or were in a court-ordered suitable placement (like a group home or being ordered to live with a relative other than your parents). Even though throughout this manual, we talk about social workers (CSWs), if you are a probation foster youth, you can get the same information from your Probation Officer (PO) as other foster youth can get from their CSWs. Ask your PO if you qualify as a foster youth or former foster youth!

This manual will give you an understanding of the resources available to you as you transition to adulthood. There are many services available to you that you might not even know about, such as continued Medi-Cal coverage (health insurance), tuition, tutoring, and scholarship opportunities.