Guardianship of the Person and the Pro Per Guardianship ClinicDOWNLOAD THIS DOCUMENT
This pamphlet is designed for parents and caregivers who have questions about guardianship. It describes the guardianship process and how to access help through Public Counsel's Pro Per Guardianship Clinic.
You should read this pamphlet if you are:
- A non-parent caring for a child and you need help getting legal guardianship (custody) of him/her through Probate Court.
- A non-parent who already has legal guardianship of a child through Probate Court and you want to terminate the guardianship and return the child to the care of his/her parent(s) or to another caregiver.
- A parent whose child is under the legal guardianship of a relative or family friend through Probate Court and you want to terminate the guardianship and have your child returned to your care.
- A parent who has received notice that a guardianship is pending and you want to object to the guardianship so the child remains in your custody.
- A relative or family friend of a child who is under the legal guardianship of a non-parent and you want to have the Probate Court determine a visitation schedule for you and the child.