Homelessness PreventionPublic Counsel's Homelessness Prevention Law Project strives to reduce the number of homeless individuals in our community by focusing on the needs of populations that are at high risk of becoming chronically homeless. The project provides representation to individuals or families and offers regular clinics. Read More
For more information about our services, please select below:
|SSI & SSDI|
|MediCal / Health Insurance|
|Eviction Defense Services|
|Stanley Mosk Courthouse|
|Trial Preparation Clinics|
- California Lawyer Recognizes Two Public Counsel Cases with Its 2015 Attorney of the Year Awards California Lawyer magazine announced its 2015 Attorney of the Year awards and recognized two Public Counsel cases that made a difference for thousands of students, families and individuals.
- Stories ___________________________________________________________________________________
- Working for an AIDS-Free Los Angeles Public Counsel's Will Watts joins Los Angeles County Commission on HIV.
- Los Angeles County Agrees to Comprehensive Reforms to General Relief Program A coalition of advocates for Los Angeles's most vulnerable communities announced a settlement agreement with the County of Los Angeles that will lead to major changes to the General Relief program, pending court approval.
- >> Archive
- Press Releases ___________________________________________________________________________________
- Los Angeles County Settles Class Action Lawsuit and Agrees to Comprehensive Reforms to General Relief Program A coalition of advocates for Los Angeles's most vulnerable communities announced a settlement agreement with the County of Los Angeles that will lead to major changes to the General Relief program, pending court approval.
- Antelope Valley Residents and City of Lancaster Stand Together to Promote Fair Housing for Section 8 Participants The Community Action League and the California State Conference of the NAACP announced today they will move forward with the City of Lancaster to promote fair housing for all Lancaster residents.
- >> Archive
- News Clips ___________________________________________________________________________________
- LA Times: Skid row doctor's care includes finding patients a home A new County program uses county Department of Health Services money to subsidize rents for the very sick among the county's 39,000 homeless people. Experts call it the nation's most promising initiative to end homelessness.
- Los Angeles Times: Activists fear that big-project zoning change would ignore L.A.'s poor Newly proposed rules meant to smooth the way for vetting big developments in Los Angeles are stirring up alarm among community groups that say the plan doesn't do enough to protect poor households or small businesses from being displaced.
- >> Archive
- Los Angeles Benefits Basics A brief overview of the most common food and cash-aid benefits programs available in Los Angeles County.
- CalFresh Brochure Learn how food stamps can help you and your family eat well and stay healthy.
- CalFresh FAQ Get answers to the frequently asked questions about California's food stamp program.
- CalFresh FAQ (Espanol) Recibe las respuestas a las preguntas mas frecuentes sobre el programa de estampillas de comer en California.
- General Relief - Quick Reference Guide Find out the rules and requirements for the general assistance program for low-income individuals without children.
- CalWorks - Quick Reference Guide Find out the rules and requirements for California's implementation of the TANF program.
- Housing Assistance Benefits - Quick Reference Guide Information on housing help for those on General Relief or CalWORKS.
- How to Deal with Parking Tickets An informational tool about how to deal with minor parking ticket infractions.
- How to Address a Ticket Information about how to deal with minor tickets and warrants.
- Toberman Legal Clinic Public Counsel's legal clinic at the Toberman Family Source Center provides general intake concerning a broad array of legal issues including consumer scams, landlord-tenant, government benefits and immigration issues. This clinic serves clients of the Toberman Family Source Center.
- Public Counsel CARES: Connecting Angelenos to Resources and Essential Services Public Counsel CARES, formerly known as the General Relief Advocacy Project (GRAP), is a legal advocacy project that takes place in the LA County Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) welfare offices. Through the project, volunteer attorneys and students assist impoverished, hungry, and homeless clients with emergency shelter, food, health, transportation, and other social service needs.
- Homeless Youth Legal Clinic at My Friend's Place Public Counsel's homeless youth legal clinic at My Friend's Place provides a broad range of free legal services and educational workshops for homeless and runaway youth.
- PATH Legal Clinic Public Counsel's legal clinic at People Assisting the Homeless (PATH) provides comprehensive legal intake and referrals to homeless individuals.
- All Saints Legal Clinic - Next Clinic May 2 Legal clinic open to all individuals and community members who need legal assistance, but lack the resources to hire an attorney. Attendees can get assistance with Housing, Public Benefits, Family Law, Expungements, Bankruptcy/Consumer Debt, and Other Issues.
- CalFresh (formerly known as Food Stamps) Want to get more food for you and your family? CalFresh can help put food on the table. You may qualify to receive CalFresh benefits, which can help stretch a tight food budget to keep you and your family well-fed and healthy.