Eviction Defense Services


Facing eviction? We can help.

Eviction defense provides fair access to the court system and assists with preventing homelessness.

Over 18,000 evictions are filed each year in the Stanley Mosk Courthouse in downtown Los Angeles. Public Counsel provides free legal help to eligible low-income individuals and families faced with unlawful detainer actions filed in the Stanley Mosk Courthouse. 

Services are made possible through the Shriver Housing Project LA, our partnership with Inner City Law Center, The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, The Los Angeles Superior Court, and Neighborhood Legal Services. 

How to Get Help with an Eviction

You may be eligible for services if:

  1. The opposing party has an attorney listed on the Summons and Complaint;
  2. You are a party to an eviction case filed at the Stanley Mosk Courthouse;
  3. You are at the beginning of the eviction, and are low-income.

To determine if you are eligible for our services, go to:  

Eviction Assistance Center
Stanley Mosk Courthouse
111 North Hill Street, Room 115
Los Angeles, CA 90012 

Hours of Operation:

Monday - Thursday: 9 AM to 12 PM, 1 PM to 4 PM

Fridays: 9 AM to 12 PM

Note: After receiving court documents in an eviction case, you must respond within 5 days. As of September 1, 2019, Saturday and Sunday do not count within the 5 days. Please do not allow this deadline to pass. You may visit the Self-Help Center at the courthouse listed on your Summons to seek help in filing a response. 


Important Resources for Renters

File a Housing or Public Health Complaint

Los Angeles Housing & Community Investment Department

To file a habitability complaint regarding a poorly maintained rental unit, please call the Los Angeles Housing & Community Investment Department at (866) 557-7368 or click here.

Los Angeles County Department of Public Health

To file an environmental complaint regarding rodent, vermin, or insect problems, please call the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health at (888) 700-9995 or click here.

Request an Inspection Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety

To request a building or residential inspection for an illegal unit, please call the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety at (888) 524-2845 or click here.


Important Housing Materials

How to Pay Rent like an Expert

What to Do When Served with a Notice to Pay Rent

Tenant Resources: Eviction for Nonpayment of Rent

California Tenants: Rights & Responsibilities